Want to work with Canada’s leading scholarly publisher? Then come and join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Reports To: Sales & Marketing Manager
Division: Book Publishing
Location: Yonge and Bloor area, Toronto
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You are a highly motivated, creative, and experienced publicist who will create and drive publicity campaigns for titles across our general non-fiction and business lists.
- Actively working to enhance the profile of the press and its authors
- Developing and implementing publicity campaigns for scholarly non-fiction and business books
- Representing UTP to select media including initiating, developing, and maintaining strong business relationships with editors, producers, event hosts, and critics in Canada, the United States, and elsewhere as necessary
- Scheduling seasonal in-person calls to major reviewers and producers
- Creating press releases, pitch letters, and promotional materials and conducting targeted galley and review copy mailings
- Promoting backlist titles for media opportunities as current events dictate
- Developing and maintaining relationships with booksellers across North America, as well as off-site and lecture events venues
- Communicating publicity results with authors and press staff
- Contributing to our social media presence (facebook, twitter, blog)
- Compiling all media hits by title and communicating to authors and staff
Here's what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
- University graduate
- 3-5 years of publicity experience, preferably in book publishing
- Experience working with news media in the US and Canada
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Proven track record in placing media coverage of serious non-fiction and business books
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Highly motivated; ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Comfort with cold-calling
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook, Word
- Familiarity with Meltwater, NetGalley, and Edelweiss
- Social media experience
- A good fit with our core values of respect, innovation and accountability
About our Book Publishing Team
The Book Publishing division has a staff of over 40 full time and contract employees and operates out of two locations with the scholarly publishing group based at 10 St. Mary Street and the higher education group located in Guelph. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
University of Toronto Press (“UTP”) is a not-for-profit company, affiliated with the University of Toronto. With approximately 250 employees and revenues of $50 million, the Company is in a unique situation within the scholarly publishing community. UTP is the only university press that operates independently from its parent institution with its book publishing division supported by the successful operation of complementary business functions.
Mission. To publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Vision. To be a top tier North American Press: #1 in Canada, and one of the top 5 in the U.S.
Values: Three primary core values will govern our actions and decisions in ensuring the effectiveness of our mission: Respect, Innovation, and Accountability. These are the guiding principles by which we operate our organization and treat our co-workers, customers, clients and the community.
Interested in applying?
Please send your resume with a covering letter by September 25, 2017, to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please indicate, Publicist in the subject line and your salary expectations in the covering letter.
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at the email above or 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.