Come join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Publishing Assistant
Reports to: Editorial Director, Humanities
Division: Book Publishing
Location: 800 Bay Street*
* For this position, we currently have the option of working totally remotely or in a hybrid model. However, this position may initially require some in-office time mixed with work from home during the onboarding phase.
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Provides comprehensive support and assistance to the daily operation of the Book Publishing Division. Responsible for setting up and maintaining new titles in UTP systems, contract and royalty administration.
• Set up new titles in UTP metadata system
• Prepare and distribute publishing agendas
• Assign ISBNs for all new publications
• Maintain and update author and product databases
• Prepare and submit applications for Cataloguing in Publication (CIP) record to Library and Archives Canada
• Process release of new publications in publishing systems and notify relevant marketing and distribution staff. Send out contractual frees to readers, authors, and series editors. Assist production in the activation of new format editions (ie. first in paper)
• Issue title subvention invoices to authors and sponsors, process requests for payment from the ASPP, and manage collection of monies. Create summaries of publication costs for authors and sponsors. Complete monthly subvention review for Accounting
• Oversee contract administration and support annual and semi-annual royalty runs
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate, or equivalent combination of education/experience
• Experience working in an office environment or in an administrative/front office representative role
• Experience or interest in publishing
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Excellent organizational and time management skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
• Proficient with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and Adobe Acrobat Pro with the proven ability to learn new systems
• Experience with database systems
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience in publishing or a creative environment preferred.
• Experience working directly with customers
• Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise
• Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
• Commitment to continuous learning
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Book Publishing team
The Book Publishing Division has a staff of over 40 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street, Toronto. With the publication of influential authors and award-winning research, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship and innovative texts, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. Books published by UTP are written for intellectually curious readers, academics, researchers, students, and practitioners. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
As the leading university press in Canada and one of the largest in North America, we acknowledge our role and responsibility in effecting positive change. With this, we seek to continuously improve the diversity and representation of our publications and the clients we represent, as well as within the makeup of our organization. With strong commitment from leadership, we are collectively bringing forward change across the organization, both within our company culture and in our publishing, distribution, and retail endeavours. UTP operates with mutual trust, respect, and integrity as we strive to identify and remove barriers. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work by addressing and challenging systemic inequities.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.