ChiZine Publications leads the pack with three nominations at this year’s Sunburst Awards, which recognize the best in Canadian speculative fiction for adult and young adult readers. ChiZine dominates in the adult fiction category, while Doubleday Canada leads the young adult category with a pair of nominations.
Below are the full shortlists:
- Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism, David Nickle (ChiZine Publications)
- Technicolor Ultra Mall, Ryan Oakley (Edge Science Fiction & Fantasy Publications)
- Enter, Night, Michael Rowe (ChiZine)
- Paradise Tales, Geoff Ryman (Small Beer Press)
- The Pattern Scars, Caitlin Sweet (ChiZine)
- Blackdog, K.V. Johansen (Pyr Books)
Young Adult fiction:
- Ultraviolet, R.J. Anderson (Lerner Publishing Group)
- All Good Children, Catherine Austen (Orca Book Publishers)
- The Summer of Permanent Wants, Jamieson Findlay (Doubleday Canada)
- The Dead Kid Detective Agency, Evan Munday (ECW Press)
- Blood Red Road, Moira Young (Doubleday Canada)
The jurors for this year’s Sunburst awards are authors Douglas Barbour, Zsuzsi Gartner, and Daniel Heath Justice, ChiZine author and Tightrope Books publisher Halli Villegas, and Toronto Public Library’s sci-fi collection head Lorna Toolis. The winners, announced in the fall, will be presented with a medallion and $1,000 cash prize.