The Sunburst Award Society has announced its 2015 shortlists, recognizing excellent works of Canadian fantasy and speculative fiction published the previous year.
The finalists are as follows:
- Nick Cutter, The Troop (Gallery Books/Simon & Schuster Canada)
- Thomas King, The Back of the Turtle (HarperCollins Canada)
- Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven (HarperCollins Canada)
- Jo Walton, My Real Children (Tor Books)
- Ian Weir, Will Starting (Goose Lane Editions)
Honourable mentions: Beth Goobie for The First Principles of Dreaming (Second Story Press), Helen Marshall for Gifts for the One Who Comes After (ChiZine Publications), and Peter Watts for Echopraxia (Tor).
Young adult category
- Jonathan Auxier, The Night Gardener (Puffin Canada)
- Cecil Castellucci, Tin Star (Roaring Brook/Raincoast Books)
- Alyxandra Harvery, A Breath of Frost (Bloomsbury Press)
- Eileen Kernaghan, Sophie, in Shadow (Thistledown Press)
- Caitlin Sweet, The Door in the Mountain (ChiTeen)
The winners – selected by jury members and authors S.M. Beiko, Gerard Collins, Paula Johanson, Corey Redekop, and Sherryl Vint – will be revealed in the fall, and will each receive a Sunburst medallion and a cash prize of $1,000.