The finalists for this year’s Lane Anderson Awards have been announced. The two prizes of $10,000 each are presented for the best Canadian science writing. The Fitzhenry Foundation‚ which administers the awards‚ is also running a contest for readers to win copies of the shortlisted titles by naming their winning picks on social media.
Winners will be revealed at a dinner in Toronto later this month.
- Frances Backhouse‚ Once They Were Hats: In Search of the Mighty Beaver (ECW Press)
- Alanna Mitchell‚ Malignant Metaphor: Confronting Cancer Myths (ECW Press)
- Andrew Nikiforuk‚ Slick Water: Fracking and One Insider’s Stand Against the World’s Most Powerful Industry (Greystone Books)
- Michael Runtz‚ Dam Builders: The Natural History of Beavers and their Ponds (Fitzhenry & Whiteside)
- Paula Ayer‚ Foodprints: The Story of What We Eat (Annick Press)
- Elise Gravel‚ Head Lice: The Disgusting Critters Series (Tundra Books)
- Merrie-Ellen Wilcox‚ What’s the Buzz?: Keeping Bees in Flight (Orca Book Publishers)
- Cybèle Young‚ The Queen’s Shadow: A Story About How Animals See (Kids Can Press)