This year’s festivities, which included the presentation of the OLA’s seven English-language Forest of Reading awards, author signings, workshops, and entertainment for more than 10,000 Ontario school children, took place May 16-17, with the French-language component to follow on May 18.
As always, the winners of this year’s awards were selected by the more than 250,000 children – many of whom read dozens of books across multiple categories – who participate in the Forest of Reading program through schools and libraries.
Here are the English-language results for 2017:
- Blue Spruce Award: The Night Gardener by Terry Fan and Eric Fan (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- Red Maple Fiction Award: Shooter by Caroline Pignat (Razorbill Canada)
- Red Maple Non-fiction Award: Child Soldier: When Boys and Girls Are Used in War by Michel Chikwanine and Jessica Dee Humphreys, Claudia Dávila, ill. (Kids Can Press)
- White Pine Award: Fifteen Lanes by S.J. Laidlaw (Tundra Books)
- Silver Birch Express Award: The Biggest Poutine in the World by Andrée Poulin; Brigitte Waisberg, trans. (Annick Press)
- Silver Birch Non-fiction Award: Haunted Canada 6: More Terrifying True Stories by Joel A. Sutherland (Scholastic Canada)
- Silver Birch Fiction Award: OCDaniel by Wesley King (S&S Canada)