Across the country this Saturday, more than 600 writers will be hand-selling books at 120 independent bookstores during the inaugural Canadian Authors for Indies event.
Retailers in both large city centres and small towns are gearing up to host authors, talk about books, and promote independent bookstores. Here are just five highlights:
- Lexicon Books, in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, will celebrate its opening weekend with co-owners author Jo Treggiari and poet Alice Burdick, along with Alison Smith and Sylvia Gunnery.
- In Yellowknife, Mac’s Fireweed Books, which specializes in Northern and First Nations titles, will host 11 authors, including Eleanor Millard, Clea Roberts, Mike Gate, and Kathy Munro, who also has a stop planned at Well-Read Books.
- Knowledge Bookstore in Brampton, Ontario, which promotes and celebrate the achievements of Africans and their descendants, is hosting Jael Richardson and Natasha Henry. At 5 p.m., there will be a barbecue fundraiser for the Festival of Literary Diversity, coming to the city in May 2016.
- Vancouver’s Kidsbooks has a full roster of kidlit stars, including Susin Nielsen, Julie Flett, Jeremy Tankard, and Ashley Spires.
- Audrey’s Books in Edmonton has also stacked the deck with appearances by Todd Babiak, Marina Endicott, Michael Hingston, Caterina Edwards, and more.