Retailers in both large city centres and small towns are gearing up to host authors, talk about books, and promote independent bookstores. Here are just five highlights:
- Lexicon Books, in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, will celebrate its opening weekend with co-owners author Jo Treggiari and poet Alice Burdick, along with Alison Smith and Sylvia Gunnery.
- In Yellowknife, Mac’s Fireweed Books, which specializes in Northern and First Nations titles, will host 11 authors, including Eleanor Millard, Clea Roberts, Mike Gate, and Kathy Munro, who also has a stop planned at Well-Read Books.
- Knowledge Bookstore in Brampton, Ontario, which promotes and celebrate the achievements of Africans and their descendants, is hosting Jael Richardson and Natasha Henry. At 5 p.m., there will be a barbecue fundraiser for the Festival of Literary Diversity, coming to the city in May 2016.
- Vancouver’s Kidsbooks has a full roster of kidlit stars, including Susin Nielsen, Julie Flett, Jeremy Tankard, and Ashley Spires.
- Audrey’s Books in Edmonton has also stacked the deck with appearances by Todd Babiak, Marina Endicott, Michael Hingston, Caterina Edwards, and more.