Q&Q polled booksellers across the country to find out which Canadian sports books sold the best in 2013. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the majority were about hockey.
Click on the thumbnails below to learn more about each title.
- Dave Bidini's personal story about a life lived in parallel to the former NHL player Dave Keon was the top-selling book at Ottawa's Octopus Books. Owner Lisa Greaves says, "It isn't just about hockey, it is also a snapshot of a time and place in Canada and I think there is an added appeal because of that. It's also a great tribute to Dave Keon, a man who many people of a certain vintage will remember fondly, but who, for a variety of reasons that Bidini discusses, has been left out of the story over the past few decades." <br />
- Keon and Me: My Search for the Lost Soul of the Leafs, Dave Bidini (Viking Canada)
- There were <a href="http://www.quillandquire.com/reviews/review.cfm?review_id=8197">mixed reviews</a> for Prime Minister Stephen J. Harper's book of hockey history. While the title garnered tepid interest at Calgary's Pages on Kensington, elsewhere in the country it sold well. Orangeville, It has been one of the best-selling sports titles at BookLore in Orangeville, Ontario, according to bookseller Nancy Frater, and also did well at Ottawa's Book Stop.
- A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs and the Rise of Professional Hockey, Stephen J. Harper (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- NHL legend Bobby Orr's memoir topped the bestsellers list in the sports category at book-stores across the country, from B.C.'s Bolen Books to BookLore in Orangeville, Ontario. <br /> <br /> BookLore owner Nancy Frater noted that, among Orangeville's hockey-loving locals, Orr's was the most buzzed-about hockey book this year.
- Orr: My Story, Bobby Orr (Penguin Books Canada)
- George Chuvalo's heartfelt tale of a life of fighting “ both in the boxing ring and in his personal life “ was the top best-selling sports book at Toronto's Another Story Bookshop.<br /> <br /> Read <i>Q&Q</i>'s starred review <a href="http://www.quillandquire.com/reviews/review.cfm?review_id=8211">here</a>.<br />
- Chuvalo: A Fighter's Life: The Story of Boxing's Last Gladiator, George Chuvalo with Murray Greig (HarperCollins Canada)