The Higher Education Division is currently seeking an Assistant Editor who is keen to work on a robust list of titles across a range of higher education disciplines.
The successful candidate will oversee manuscripts from the time contracts are signed through turnover to copy editing. The candidate will work closely with authors and other in-house editors to develop texts that comply with publication plans as well as peer and market reviews.
Core responsibilities include:
- Liaising with authors pre-submission to secure timely arrival of first-draft manuscripts
- Assessing manuscripts for compliance with publication plans and directing authors on necessary adjustments
- Monitoring, maintaining, and reducing project permissions costs
- Coordinating peer review of manuscripts and guiding authors through implementation of required revisions
- Preparing manuscripts for copy editing and production, including: estimating length, coordinating art programs, identifying permissions, preparing notes and briefings for production and marketing departments
- Coordinating suites of ancillaries to accompany core texts
Specific qualifications include:
- Minimum of 2 years of editorial experience in the higher education market, with proven skills and results.
- Exceptional interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects on strict deadlines
- Proficiency with MS Office and Adobe Acrobat software
- University degree
- Certification through a professional program (e.g., Ryerson University Publishing Program; Simon Fraser Writing and Publishing Program) an asset
Applicants should forward their resume and cover letter to:
SR. Human Resources Coordinator
Oxford University Press is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.