Penguin Random House Canada is a publishing powerhouse filled with passionate book people who collaborate with the very best authors to create wonderfully diverse books that inform, educate and entertain.
We are looking for an Associate Design Director to join our award-winning design team. As a trustworthy “right-hand” to the Creative Design Director, you will foster great team dynamics and push creativity with a clear focus on productivity. Leading by example, you motivate, coach and encourage designers to grow while maintaining strong collaborative relationships with management and internal stakeholders. You can clearly articulate design concepts with a focus on our overall business objectives. You enjoy a good laugh but take process and workflow seriously. A courageous problem-solver who can prioritize and identify opportunities, you remain positive under pressure with unshakeable diplomacy. Your superpower is your drive to deliver compelling strategic designs that help to influence book buyers and generate buzz. For you, being “swamped” just means putting on hip waders to meet multiple deadlines. And of course, your love of design and typography is only matched by your love of reading.
Your Manager Brain:
- 2+ years of experience managing and mentoring a team of in-house designers across diverse projects
- exceptional people management and leadership skills
- wired to direct and inspire other creative members of the team to fulfill objectives
- ability to flex between designing, managing and collaborating with internal teams of multiple personality types
- provides clear, insightful and objective critiques of creative work in connection to the strategic vision
- ability to prioritize and help to ensure that deadlines are complete, accurate and followed
- partners with the Creative Design Director to lead initiatives, retain and build a strong creative team
Your Creative Brain:
- 5+ years of print design experience
- strong verbal communication and presentation skills
- a clear understanding of the creative and prepress processes
- general knowledge of social media platforms
- a portfolio of creative solutions that reflect objectives
- can practically work Adobe Creative Suite in your sleep
- Some knowledge of Microsoft Office, FileMaker Pro or other Project Management software
- plugged into current industry trends and techniques
- book design experience is an asset
This position is located in our Toronto office. To apply, please send a cover letter and include a portfolio with your resume, to email@example.com by Friday, May 25, 2018.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, we will only contact you if you are selected for an interview.
Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org 416-364-4449, if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process, or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Penguin Random House Canada is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.