Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is seeking a Director, Literary Arts.
Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus - artists, leaders, and thinkers - to unleash their creative potential.
The Director, Literary Arts role is to create a compelling vision for programs that meet the ambitions and objectives of the Banff Centre strategic plan, meet the needs of Canadian and international artists in the 21st century, and increase the profile and reach of our nationally and internationally renowned programs. The Director, Literary Arts is responsible for leading the vision and implementation of all literary arts programming at the Banff Centre. Banff Centre arts programs seek to create an environment within which artists can explore and push creative boundaries, create new work and develop both personally and professionally.
Literary Arts is one of many disciplinary areas at the Banff Centre and the incumbent will work closely with Directors of all other arts disciplines at the Centre, and with the Vice President, Arts & Leadership, and the Managing Director Artistic Program Planning, to plan and design specific portfolio programs, and also collaborate on cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary programs where appropriate. The incumbent will also work closely with the Program Delivery team to ensure that innovative Literary Arts programs are delivered at the highest possible level.
The incumbent is responsible, with support from the team within Program Delivery, for balancing the artistic ambitions of the department with the delivery requirements necessary to function efficiently as part of a post-secondary institution.
The Director, Literary Arts oversees a suite of year-round programming (between 20-25 individual programs and events per year), recruits for over 50 national and international faculty to help lead these programs, and over 225 participants.
Reporting to the Vice President, Arts & Leadership, for program mission and vision alignment, conceptual framework, content and design, and to the Managing Director, Artistic Program Planning, for the planning, execution, and evaluation of Literary Arts programming, responsibilities include:
- Strategic Planning
- Operational Management
- Financial Management
- Relationship Building
- Employee Engagement
- Leadership and Influence
- Stakeholder Relationships
- 10+ years of proven collaborative and inclusionary leadership;
- Related university degree;
- Deep understanding of art education and professional development at the post-secondary level;
- Network of contacts and reputation in the Canadian and International literary arts community to attract high profile artists to the Centre and build Banff Centre profile and reputation in the Literary Arts realm;
- Excellent knowledge of literary arts practice and trends;
- Active member of the Literary Arts associations and groups;
- Previous experience in setting a compelling vision and utilizing creativity, innovation and a strong business acumen to delivery on this vision;
- Background and or interest in working in a multi-disciplinary environment;
- Operational awareness (budgets, grants and fundraising);
- Experience working with external donors and stakeholders from government, the private and public sectors;
- Highly motived and energetic – contemporary and forward-looking while honouring legacy and what has been built;
- Effective communication and presentation skills;
- Adept in the planning and organization required to successfully launch multiple projects at once;
- Multi-lingual (preferred);
- Familiarity working in a unionized environment (preferred).
This is a five (5) year, term position with an option to renew.
Some distance work will be considered, based on programming needs