Salary: $75,938 - $113,910
The University of Regina seeks an innovative, resourceful, and collaborative leader, capable of effectively aligning the UR Press with a rapidly evolving publishing industry, exploring emerging alternate forms of publishing, while maintaining the scholarly rigor inherent in academic publishing. Reporting to the Vice-President (Research), the Director is responsible for establishing the strategic vision for all UR Press functions, and leads and manages the publishing endeavor, including editorial direction, business planning and development and partnerships, budget planning and control, fundraising, technology applications, production, distribution, sales, marketing, and liaison with all stakeholders in a highly collaborative environment.
- The Director is responsible for the short-term planning and long-range vision of the Press. The Director will develop and cultivate new and sustainable initiatives and identify long-term trends in academic publishing to position the Press and its publishing program for success.
- The Director is responsible for the direction, quality, and quantity of the publishing program, including individual books, trade publications, journals, and other publications aligned with the mission of the University of Regina Press. The Director works with an Advisory Committee, in addition to staff within the UR Press to maintain appropriate peer review standards and ensure the Press is publishing competitive works of high scholarly merit.
- The Director oversees the management, staff recruitment, and coordination of each function at the Press responsible for acquiring, editing, producing, marketing, and distributing books and journals; and ensures for the appropriate administrative and technological infrastructure to support their work and the mission of the Press. In consultation with managers and staff, the Director determines and implements Press systems, policies, and procedures.
- The Director is responsible for the fiscal operations of the Press, including financial planning, execution of budget plans, and maintenance of financial controls and records. The Director is also responsible for developing and growing new sources of revenue for the Press. He/she is responsible for all financial decisions for the Press, including the distribution of proceeds for the sales of books and oversight of the operating budget.
- The Director represents the Press nationally, and internationally and is the spokesperson for the University of Regina Press. The Director represents the Press to the media and at publishing events and in front of professional bodies and scholarly organizations. He/she is in frequent contact with authors, prospective clients, vendors, other press directors, faculty, state officials and agencies, university officers, and potential funders. He/she develops and fosters these connections to increase the presence of the Press and to increase revenues.
- Relevant undergraduate degree and five years of managerial experience in book publishing.
- Demonstrated effective and collaborative leadership in publishing.
- Proven financial and managerial acumen in managing budget.
- Proven track record in applying good judgment and business practice to achieve a sustainable publishing program.
- Knowledge of issues and trends in scholarly research and communication, libraries, publishing, digital dissemination, open access and intellectual property.
- Proven ability to increase sales and revenues in the publishing business.
- Demonstrated ability to gain agreement with authors to publish with the Director.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially, inspire confidence and trust and maintain a positive and respectful work culture.
For details about this opportunity, the University of Regina and to apply for this position visit https://www.uregina.ca/hr/careers/opportunities.html
Competition #: 20190246