Purpose of the Position
The Head of Communications and Marketing serves as the arbiter of the brand voice and organizational storyteller. S/he is responsible for leading the communications department and guiding content production to ensure that external messaging remains consistent in brand, quality and tone and aligns with objectives. In consultation with senior management, s/he will be responsible for the development of communications and marketing strategy and plans, issues management and stakeholder relations strategies and will be charged with developing content that engages key stakeholder groups in support of strategic objectives. This is a fast-paced role and requires the candidate to be proactive and demonstrate a high degree of leadership, flexibility and initiative.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing and executing the organization’s communications, marketing and public relations strategy and plans, including content marketing and social media strategy
- Manage the planning, execution and evaluation of all communications and marketing materials to ensure clear, effective communication with customers and other stakeholders and alignment with organizational objectives and priorities
- Oversee the end to end delivery of projects and services related to the development of original content
- Develop and execute integrated campaigns that leverage content to build engagement
- Working in collaboration with the legal team, develop communications materials in response to legal decisions and legislative developments that impact the organization or its stakeholders
- Serve as the lead writer, editor and primary contact for content review and approvals
- Develop a wide range of communications and materials for external audiences and customers, including the Annual Report
- Manage and coordinate the social media activities for the organization
- Continuously measure and evaluate communications and marketing performance through the use of analytics to maximize effectiveness and budget efficiency of initiatives
- Oversee the maintenance and regular updating of the organization’s website
- Advise the executive team, board of directors and other stakeholders on strategies and key messages for responding to media inquiries and interview requests
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining strong relationships with external stakeholders, including members, affiliates and licensees
- Manage and oversee the successful implementation of key company events, both internally and externally, including the company’s Annual General Meeting
- Budget tracking and management
- The incumbent will have 1 direct report and will be responsible for performance management, career development/coaching and will participate in the hiring and management of any additional communications-related staff or freelancers
- Degree in communications, marketing, public relations or a related field
- 5+ years management experience in a communications or marketing role
- Expertise in developing and implementing communications, marketing and social media strategy
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading, design and presentation skills
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Experience working with complex policy issues and developing and executing advocacy campaigns
- Experience identifying and analyzing emerging issues and developing strategic responses
- Strong organizational and planning skills and ability to meet tight deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Self-motivated and proactive individual with excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a transforming and dynamic environment undergoing significant changes
- Experience in a content based industry is considered an asset, such as publishing, media, communications or related field where royalties and ownership rights are relevant
Access Copyright a non-profit, national organization, representing tens of thousands of Canadian creators and publishers and their works. Access Copyright licenses the copying of this rich repertoire of content to educational institutions, businesses, governments and others. The proceeds gathered when content is copied, remixed and shared are passed along to the copyright-holders, ensuring continued creation of new and innovative works.
Interested applicants should submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2018.
Access Copyright is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Kindly let us know of your needs.