Come join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Inside Sales Representative
Reports to: Sales Manager – Higher Education
Division: Book Publishing
Location: 800 Bay Street*
* For this position, we currently have the option of working totally remotely or in a hybrid model. However, this position initially requires some in-office time mixed with work from home during the onboarding phase.
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
Your primary responsibility is to promote and sell books, largely on subjects in the social sciences and humanities, to retail, enterprise accounts, organizations, and university and college instructors in Canada and the United States. The majority of the sales effort will be via email, phone, and video, with some on-campus sales within the Greater Toronto Area. On top of nurturing relationships in your sales territory, you will assist Book Publishing colleagues with a variety of tasks related to the creation and execution of marketing plans and materials; participate in special sales and marketing projects; and attend conferences.
• Support sales efforts with direct sales outreach to trade, enterprise, public sector and education customers
• In collaboration with the Sales Manager, establish a sales strategy to achieve revenue targets that identifies opportunities at key accounts
• Maintain excellent working knowledge of UTP titles
• Develop strong relationships and communicate comfortably with customers remotely
• Conduct in-person sales calls
• Keep detailed records of leads, opportunities and sales in assigned territory
• Create and update written sales and marketing communication documents
• Participate in marketing meetings with authors
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate, or equivalent combination of education/experience
• Previous experience in sales or marketing is considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Highly organized, goal-oriented, independently motivated self-starter
• Effective and adaptable communication skills
• Energetic, collaborative team member
• Invested in creating positive customer experiences
• A strategic sales mindset and a willingness to learn
• Manage and prioritize multiple projects and tasks
• Windows and MS Suite proficient, experience with CRM software is considered an asset
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Book Publishing team
The Book Publishing Division has a staff of over 40 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street, Toronto. With the publication of influential authors and award-winning research, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship and innovative texts, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. Books published by UTP are written for intellectually curious readers, academics, researchers, students, and practitioners. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
UTP is committed to supporting greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community.
We celebrate and support diversity and strive to create a welcoming workplace in which everyone has a voice and is able to do their best work. We welcome all applicants, particularly those who identify with groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the publishing industry including, but not limited to, Black, Indigenous, people of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, and persons from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
UTP places great value on equity and inclusion, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our mission, which is to publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.