Come join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Marketing Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Director, Sales & Marketing
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
You’ll be responsible for planning and executing marketing strategies helping readers and authors discover UTP Journals, including coordinating and planning conference exhibits, conducting research, and coordinating marketing plans and reports.
* For this position, we currently have the option of working totally remotely or in a hybrid model. However, this position may initially require some in-office time mixed with work from home during the onboarding phase.
• Manages social media channels including updating and maintaining social media calendar
• Engages with online communities through social channels
• Implements direct e-mail, newsletter, and listserv campaigns – writing and designing messages, deploying messages, analyzing results, and creating reports
• Contribute to major marketing campaigns and events as part of the marketing team, including coordinating conference exhibits and staffing (including travel), designing and/or creating ads and collateral material
• Manages content marketing initiatives, including press releases, new content alerts, and special articles promotions to drive traffic to online use
• Creates digital advertising and pay per click campaigns, including identifying goals, defining strategy, and providing tracking and final reports
• Performs regular analysis to measure effectiveness of digital marketing initiatives
• Assists with Abstracting and Indexing databases, including submitting applications as well as supporting journals through process and maintenance
• Builds digital expertise by researching new trends and best practices in social media and digital space, and identifying appropriate strategies for marketing UTPJ content
• Researches and identifies trends and new technologies that will improve the positioning and marketing of scholarly journals and their authors
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate
• Publishing certificate or equivalent
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in related business environment; experience in periodical or scholarly environment an asset
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Results and action oriented, creative and innovative big picture thinker
• Customer/client focused with ability to represent UTP; must have a positive and professional approach and be able to present concepts to clients with confidence
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, attention to detail, and time management skills
• Collaborative; flexible in changing situations; thrive in a fast-paced environment; manage multiple projects with ease
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative
• Ability to consistently meet deadlines
• Keep informed in trends in industry
• Proficient with Outlook, Microsoft Office, and database software
• Some business travel required
• Research skills and social media savvy
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals team
The Journals Division has been an important part of the Press since its foundation and has built a strong reputation for excellence in scholarship and innovation in publishing. We work hand-in-hand with world-class authors, editors and scholarly societies to publish 40+ journals in a variety of disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, and medicine. We are passionate about high-quality content, digital distribution, and the success of scholarly journals and are making major strides forward in areas such as online peer review systems and multimedia publishing, such as videos and podcasts.
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers around the world.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
As the leading university press in Canada and one of the largest in North America, we acknowledge our role and responsibility in effecting positive change. With this, we seek to continuously improve the diversity and representation of our publications and the clients we represent, as well as within the makeup of our organization. With strong commitment from leadership, we are collectively bringing forward change across the organization, both within our company culture and in our publishing, distribution, and retail endeavours. UTP operates with mutual trust, respect, and integrity as we strive to identify and remove barriers. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work by addressing and challenging systemic inequities.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.