The Carol Shields Prize Foundation is a new charity incorporated in 2016 to support and raise the profile of women writers in North America through a literary prize, charitable partnerships and public awareness. Named after beloved Pulitzer Prize-winning author Carol Shields, The Carol Shields Prize for Fiction is the first major English-language literary award to celebrate creativity and excellence in fiction by women and non-binary writers in the US and Canada. In addition, the Carol Shields Prize Foundation promotes women writers’ fiction through a number of initiatives and grants to support marginalized, underrepresented and emerging women writers in the US and Canada. The Carol Shields Foundation is committed to advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in the literary world.
Program and Operations Manager
Are you passionate about literary fiction, and keen to support women writers from Canada and the United States? The Carol Shields Prize Foundation seeks a self-motivated team player who will help to ensure the smooth operation of the Carol Shields Prize Foundation, including the annual Carol Shields Prize for Fiction and the Foundation’s charitable partnerships. The Program and Operations Manager also oversees management of organizational systems and processes, and assists with marketing, fundraising, events and governance support.
Prize/Prize Event and Programming
* Assist with annual processes and systems for the Carol Shields Prize for Fiction.
* Assist with Prize/Jury management and communications. Review submissions; provide material to the Jury; schedule/book meetings; coordinate travel.
* Participate in the planning of the annual Prize event.
* Plan and manage ancillary events such as readings.
* Attend and assist at Prize and Foundation events as required.
* Manage the Foundation’s mentoring, bursary and residency programs/partnerships.
Operations and Administration:
* Oversee organizational systems, including but not limited to: Google Workspace, Jotform, Zoom, Doodle Polls, Trello, Canada Helps and Keela.
* Maintain an efficient organizational digital filing system.
* Assist with budget and budget tracking.
* Provide Fundraising, Marketing, and Governance support as required.
* 3 to 5 years experience in: literary award/prize management; publishing; literary program development; or the equivalent in other experience
* Passionate about reading and literary fiction; has a sound knowledge of contemporary Canadian and US literature and the publishing industry in both countries
* Passionate about equity, diversity and inclusion
* Marketing, communications and/or fundraising experience is an asset
* Organized; collaborative; strong project and people management skills
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* A self-starter who can work independently; dependable and meets deadlines
* A problem-solver who exercises sound judgment and is able to maintain confidentiality
* Highly proficient in a G Suite/Google Workspace environment; comfortable with cloud-based systems, CRMs and digital solutions.
* Writers are welcome to apply; but please note that books written by staff members are not eligible for submission to the Carol Shields Prize for Fiction.
* Work from home; remote office work. (The Foundation has no physical office space, but the home base is Toronto).
* Preference for applications from the Greater Toronto Area to allow for local meetings.
* In person attendance required at occasional events.
* Carol Shields Prize Foundation will provide a computer and office supplies; employees require home office space with privacy for confidential calls.
* Full-time position; hours are generally Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Some flex time is available, but the majority of the work should take place during regular business hours.
* Operation of computer, with prolonged periods of sitting.
* Employees may be asked to voluntarily provide their vaccination status
Reporting To: Reports to the CEO
Working With: Collaborates closely with team members, Board Directors and partners
Salary and Benefits: Salary range: $48,000 to $52,000. Health Benefits package provided after three months of employment. Annual RRSP contribution after the first year of service.
To Apply: The Carol Shields Prize Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Please send your resume and cover letter in one PDF with the subject “Program and Operations Manager” to email@example.com. Applications submitted through any other platform or portal will not be considered.
The Carol Shields Prize Foundation is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We welcome applicants who identify as racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons across the spectrum of sexual orientation and gender identities. If you are a person with a disability and require accommodation and/or assistance during the application process, please contact us in advance.
The Carol Shields Prize Foundation would like to thank all applicants, however, please note that only those selected to participate in an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: February 13, 2023
Target Start Date: March 1, 2023