Come join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Promotions Coordinator – 2 positions available
Reports to: Marketing Manager
Division: Book Publishing
Location: 800 Bay Street*
* While we are currently working remotely, we are looking for a candidate who is able to commute to our Toronto office in the future. When it is safe to, this position will be a hybrid position requiring some in-office time mixed with work from home. All safety precautions and measures will continue to be taken.
Here’s what you’ll be doing…
In collaboration with our marketing and publicity team develops and executes promotion plans for our scholarly, course, and trade books.
• Participate in the development of promotion and publicity plans for assigned books
• Collaborate with authors, editors, publicist, and management to ensure books are promoted to the appropriate markets
• Execute promotion and publicity plans with a moderate level of guidance from others
• Coordinate with marketing team members on issues related to assigned books
• Collaborate with marketing team members team to help conceive, manage, and carry out larger departmental initiatives
• Manage logistical details for UTP’s attendance at selected conferences and events, including academic conferences, industry events, book launches, and author tours
• Manage activities surrounding UTP award submissions including submission of books to appropriate awards in a timely manner
• Communicate all award nominations and wins with internal stakeholders and external market through website, social media, and other digital channels
• Identify scholarly journals to receive review copies of new books
• Distribute review copies of our books to journals for review
• Manage review requests and monitor published reviews
• Create and produce Advance Reading Copies and coordinate NetGalley digital review copy submissions and promotions for Publicity Department
• Assist with reviewing and maintaining title metadata
• Perform other related work as needed
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Post-secondary graduate
• Knowledge of marketing best practices and publishing industry
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Creative and strategic thinker; result orientated
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent customer service skills; strong attention to detail
• Proficient with MS Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat Pro
• Excellent organizational skills
• Enjoys being part of a team; works well independently with a high degree of initiative
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
• Write creatively, clearly, and compellingly
• Interest in selling and marketing books
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Book Publishing team
The Book Publishing Division has a staff of over 40 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street, Toronto. With the publication of influential authors and award-winning research, as well as a continuing dedication to groundbreaking new scholarship and innovative texts, UTP has firmly established its reputation for excellence. Books published by UTP are written for intellectually curious readers, academics, researchers, students, and practitioners. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. We have published over 6,500 books and each year we publish approximately 200 new scholarly, course, and general interest books in
both print and ebook and more than 40 Journals. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
UTP is committed to supporting greater diversity, equity, and inclusion in the university press community.
We celebrate and support diversity and strive to create a welcoming workplace in which everyone has a voice and is able to do their best work. We welcome all applicants, particularly those who identify with groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the publishing industry including, but not limited to, Black, Indigenous, people of colour, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, and persons from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
UTP places great value on equity and inclusion, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our mission, which is to publish exemplary works of scholarship and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society.
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978.2239 ext. 2255.