LifeTree Media is seeking candidates for an entry-level Publishing Coordinator to join our virtual team on a three-month contract starting January 2018, to be renewed or converted to a permanent role upon completion.
We are intensely passionate about purpose. That’s why we specialize in nonfiction books that help, heal and inspire. Our company was founded on the principle that every human being has an essential contribution to make to the human race, and that our most significant contributions are intimately tied to our personal satisfaction in life. In other words, we can all make the world a bit of a better place just by being in the right job.
We want everyone in our organization to be totally in love with their job, with our company, and with the books we publish. If you are passionate about working on projects you believe in, you have exceptional writing and editing skills and thrive in a busy role that requires you to work independently and think on your feet, we want to hear from you!
This role requires strong editorial skills, strong content marketing skills, and direct experience in the book publishing industry.
Working conditions and job parameters:
We are a virtual company, so you will be working from home, in communication with team members and clients via video Skype, email, and chat. You will need to respond to requests quickly, keep track of multiple shifting priorities, generate ideas for content marketing material, and write, edit, and proofread material to our high standards. An ability to work independently and stay on-task and highly productive without close supervision is essential. Must be a resident of Canada. Preference will be given to candidates based in Toronto or Vancouver. You must have your own computer (PC or Mac) with webcam and MS Office software.
You will report directly to the Publisher, and will work closely with our Senior Editor, our authors, and our external contributors and suppliers.
This is a part-time position with a minimum of three days per week. Your workweek will expand to five days during busy periods and may expand into a full-time role in 2018.
What you’ll do:
- Support our editors to ensure that our books as good as they can be. This may include production editing and proofreading, drafting cover copy and sales materials, researching comp titles, soliciting endorsements, providing input on book concepts, titles, author brand-building, and book cover design.
- Support the Publisher and Senior Editor with various administrative tasks. This may include maintaining and updating company files and databases, submitting books to awards, coordinating production of ARCs and printed marketing collateral, and sending regular updates to authors.
- Maintain editorial calendar and create an integrated communications plan that incorporates newsletter, blog, social media, and earned media outreach.
- Deliver on all requests, including from industry and consumer publications for images, backgrounders, or interviews. Coordinate book promotions and oversee creation and placement of seasonal display ads promoting our books.
- Special and ongoing marketing projects, including executing marketing service packages for our authors and their books.
- Book publishing training. (Degree or diploma preferred.)
- Knowledge of the publishing landscape, as evidenced by a minimum of one year’s experience in-house with a traditional publisher in an editorial or marketing role.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. You are responsible in the extreme.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills. You find satisfaction in details, accuracy and efficiency, and love bringing order to chaos.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a professional demeanour.
- Ability to problem solve — if you don’t know how something is done, you know how to find what you need, and can then share what you’ve learned with the team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Skype, and WordPress site operation is required.
- Proficiency with online collaboration tools (Asana, Dropbox, Google Drive documents) and data distribution systems (Coresource) is a strong asset.
- A thirst for growth, a positive attitude, and a commitment to ongoing personal and professional development.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with or willingness to learn design software (Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illlustrator, and Acrobat).
- Ability to shoot, edit, and post video.
- Solid understanding of SEO and social media engagement and measurement.
- Enthusiasm about publishing and writing in the digital age.
- A deep genuine interest in nonfiction books on personal development, business, health, wellness, and/or spirituality.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter by email to Maggie Langrick, LifeTree Media CEO and Publisher, at email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is October 30, 2017.
We are sincerely grateful for the interest of every applicant, however please note that due to time constraints we will only be contacting those applicants selected for interview.