Come join our incredible Book Publishing team!
Here’s our current opening:
Position: Sales Manager
Reports To: Director, Sales and Marketing
Division: Book Publishing
Location: Bay & College area
Here’s what you’ll be doing….
As part of an energetic team you’re responsible for developing and growing book publishing revenue as well as mentoring a team of sales professionals. You are detail oriented, strategic, and analytical with the ability to think outside the box. You proactively and continuously seek to build an innovative sales approach. Responsible for strengthening the sales, business and industry knowledge of the in-house higher education sales team and manage the business relationship with our commissioned sales teams and business partners around the world, with a key goal of increasing our market share and enhancing our reputation. You’ll interact with all levels of UTP employees and customers while providing direction to the sales team and driving revenue opportunities.
This position will work primarily out of the Toronto office with travel required outside of the region.
• Partner with Director Sales and Marketing to create, implement, and execute an annual business plan aligned with the Strategic Plan. Lead and coach the sales team in accomplishing revenue, acquisition, and expense goals.
• Build and maintain strong relationships with internal stakeholders across the organization and key external contacts in order to understand, communicate, and achieve sales goals.
• Curate and sell lists of upcoming books to key wholesale, distribution, and sales agency customers.
• Manage sales to house accounts including Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, Indigo, and Barnes & Noble.
• Manage the compilation of electronic catalogues with detailed sales notes and suggested purchase quantities.
• Provide exceptional customer service to accounts, ensuring they receive all required information, sales materials, and marketing assets at the right time.
• Monitor sales and make order recommendations to maintain appropriate inventory levels and manage regular sales forecasting.
• Provide feedback on manuscripts, covers, and positioning with an eye to trends in the book market.
• Actively participate in positioning key titles to accounts, collecting feedback, and communicating corresponding action plans across key stakeholders.
• Management of sales force with maximum efficiency and permanent tracking of sales and analysis of performance including in-house, commission and seasonal sales reps.
• Manage profitability while maximizing sales through controlled pricing.
• Drive sales team’s use of CRM software to generate, pursue, and track course adoptions and sales opportunities.
• Improve reputation of UTP through significant personal contact with university-level faculty.
• Manage the planning and execution of bi-annual sales meetings.
• Facilitate the movement of UTP books through distribution and customer service and serve as book publishing liaison with Distribution.
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree; minimum of 3-5 years of sales experience
• Previous experience as a sales manager/supervisor; and in training sales staff is preferred
• Previous experience with a scholarly, higher education, or trade publisher
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Demonstrated success in a sales role combined with an ability to learn quickly and thrive in a complex and changing work environment
• Well-honed organizational and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint); knowledge of Adobe Acrobat
• Ability to use databases to generate and analyze monthly, annual, and other sales reports
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with acute attention to detail
• A solutions-focused and dynamic approach aimed at continuous improvement
• Highly developed customer service skills with demonstrated experience working independently and collaboratively across teams
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Book Publishing team
The Book Publishing Division has a staff of over 40 full-time and contract employees and operates out of 800 Bay Street. The division publishes 180 books annually including scholarly monographs primarily aimed at university libraries and faculty, course books intended for student use, and trade titles aimed at the informed general reader. Our authors come from around the world and we serve a global market.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.