Playwrights Canada Press is looking for a sales and marketing coordinator to join our small team! See below for what the job entails and how to apply!
Who We Are
Playwrights Canada Press publishes new Canadian plays as well as theatre history, criticism, and biography. Through this we endeavour to raise the profile of Canadian theatre and theatre practitioners, promote dramatic literature, and contribute to the Canadian theatrical canon. Playwrights Canada Press strives to publish diverse and engaging Canadian plays and dramatic criticism of literary merit. We’re a small staff of four who regularly publish 30 books a year. We enjoy books, baseball, and, of course, going to the theatre.
Reporting to the Publisher, the Sales & Marketing Coordinator will help to market, promote, and sell books published and represented by Playwrights Canada Press. This is a full-time, permanent position of approximately 35 hours a week. Some customer service components of the job will require you to work from the office.
In This Role You Will:
- Contribute to and help create the overall marketing plan for Playwrights Canada Press, including researching and making recommendations for future marketing initiatives
- Present 30+ titles annually to our sales force
- Liaise with authors on their events, book marketing, publicity, and sales opportunities
- Write copy for book jackets, catalogues, ads, press releases, and other promotional material
- Book print and online ads within budget, manage that budget, and create advertising campaigns for select titles and/or events
- Prepare enhanced bibliographic data
- Design and publish seasonal release catalogues and announcements
- Maintain and create content for the website and blog, increase brand awareness, and encourage customer engagement through social media and newsletters
- Promote books directly to potential customers, particularly in the education and academic spheres, as well as manage consignment and event sales
- Organize, attend, and staff various events and book displays, including book launches; this may involve a virtual presence, travelling nationally and internationally to festivals and conferences, or working outside of regular business hours
- Publicize books to a variety of print and online media
- Submit books to awards
- Respond to general customer service inquiries, including fulfilling orders, maintaining accurate records, and providing administrative support, including some bookkeeping
- Liaise with our distribution partners to ensure Canadian plays are available internationally and that their titles are sold in Canada
- Liaise with publishing organizations for title outreach opportunities
- Some knowledge of the Adobe Creative Cloud suite of software
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and social media platforms. Training will be provided for specialized software including ONIX bibliographic data creation and Quickbooks Online
- Superior communication skills, including excellent creative copy writing
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as within a team
- Ability to work flexibly when plans change
- Ability to provide a friendly and welcoming experience for customers
- Physical requirements: this is generally a desk job that involves a lot of screen time but on occasion will require you to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 20 kg
- An interest in non-traditional text, some experience with graphic design, and a love of Canadian theatre will be considered assets
$40,000 per annum
Extended health benefits
RRSP contribution matching
Two weeks’ paid vacation + two weeks for December holidays
Flexible working hours
Twelve paid sick days per year
Professional development opportunities
Space / Location Considerations
The successful candidate will be required to work out of our office in downtown Toronto three days a week. While many aspects of this role can be performed remotely, some responsibilities can only be performed in person. The office is located near multiple transit routes (subway and streetcar). To access the office there is a short flight of stairs to the main door, then another flight of stairs to the second floor. The space can also be accessed through an outdoor lift and an interior elevator.
Playwrights Canada Press is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and safe workplace. We strongly encourage applications from equity-seeking communities including Black, Indigenous, and racialized candidates, from 2SLGBTQ+ candidates, from Deaf candidates and those with disabilities. We are committed to providing accommodations during the application process and throughout employment. If you require any accommodations please email email@example.com.
How To Apply
Send an email with a cover letter and your resume in a single document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Sales and Marketing Coordinator.”
Deadline to apply: December 9, 2022
Virtual interviews will be conducted in January 2023 with a start date of January 30, 2023.
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to prepare sample copy for one of our upcoming titles (manuscript to be provided) and will be paid a fee of $50 for that labour.
We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.