Come and join our incredible Journals team!
Here’s our Current Opening:
Position: Sales and Marketing Specialist
Reports To: Sales and Marketing Manager
Location: Dufferin & Steeles area
Here’s what you’ll be doing ….
You will develop and execute revenue generating sales and marketing plans and working directly on all aspects of UTP Journals’ sales and marketing, including strategy development, campaign implementation, conference planning, copywriting, design, and analyzing results for continual improvement.
• Develop and execute sales strategy to generate new sales across various products, including digital archives, advertising, and subscriptions
• Generate leads and conduct research to identify prospective customers
• Retain existing customers and pursue lapsed subscriptions
• Generate sales through product recommendations and identifying opportunities for cross-selling ad up-selling
• Perform market, industry and competitive research and analysis to drive targeted marketing plans, determine key program selling points and identify best customer prospects
• Present to prospective customers product price quotations, product information, features and benefits as well as respond to licensing/subscription inquires
• Develop and maintain excellent customer service and strong relationships with key accounts to encourage renewals, new and repeat sales
• Generate messages for customers concerning product or policy updates, new features or titles, and related topics and work on deployment through appropriate channels (email, web, social)
• Measure and track effectiveness of various sales tactics
• Report on revenue
• Identify opportunities for new or improved sales and promotional material, write content and lead production of these materials, including deployment of information through appropriate channels and media (printed or digital, presentations, website, social media)
• Research, plan and lead journals’ presence at select conferences and events throughout the year, including advertising and collateral material as well as promotion via social media
• Collect and analyze data from marketing campaigns to evaluate performance, share findings with multiple stakeholders, and use information in making data-driven recommendations
• Identify new initiatives and opportunities that support UTP’s business strategy
• Conduct competitive research and monitor trends and adjustments in the market/industry so as to capitalize on promotional opportunities, including exploring promotional opportunities with scholarly societies
• Coordinate marketing reports, including collating information for annual reports to clients and updating marketing plans and information in marketing database
• As part of Journals Sales and Marketing team, continuously evaluate the organization’s competitive advantage and unique selling position strategy, contribute to ideas for marketing messaging and campaigns
Here’s what we are looking for:
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• University graduate, Marketing, Communications or related field preferred
• Minimum of five (5) years’ related experience with B2B sales and marketing campaign development
• Experience in a periodical or scholarly publishing environment
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Results-driven, self-motivated, proactive and able to work independently
• Demonstrated experience with generating professional sales and marketing content
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail
• Highly organized, ability to work on multiple projects, prioritizing and meeting tight deadlines
• Customer/client focused with ability to anticipate client needs; must have a positive and professional approach and be able to present concepts to clients with confidence
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; driven, with a passion to learn, grow, and perform
• Knowledge of how academic electronic resources are selected, acquired, and made discoverable by libraries and scholars
• Knowledge of the key marketing elements that drive successful sales outcomes, with proven experience in guiding projects from brainstorming and planning through to design, implementation and measurement
• Digital marketing experience with social media platforms i.e., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and ability to effectively manage the delivery of marketing messaging through them
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite
• Business travel required (~15%)
• Values matter to you. You bring your whole self to work and you live our values of accountability, innovation, respect, and customer focus
About our Journals Team
We are a tight group and enjoy each other’s company. We work in close collaboration with academic editors and associations and manage all aspects of the periodical publishing process. Along the way, we help editors manage the peer review process through our online peer review system; copy-edit the accepted material; handle typesetting and XML tagging, proofreading and printing; sell advertising space in our publications; promote our journals to an international market; process subscriber payments; provide customer service; and mail our journals to subscribers around the world.
About University of Toronto Press
Our organization is steeped in a rich history (UTP was founded in 1901) and today is Canada's leading scholarly publisher and one of North America’s premier academic presses. Our authors praise us for our commitment to quality and innovation and for our ability to successfully market books both in North America and around the world. We are honoured and proud that many of our books have received a number of awards.
Through the operation of several complementary divisions, it is our mission to publish exemplary works of scholarship, and to disseminate knowledge widely for the benefit of society. In addition to publishing books, we own and publish numerous high profile scholarly journals, distribute books to a broad range of other publishers through our warehouses in Toronto and Buffalo and operate highly regarded and successful campus stores for the University of Toronto.
We operate with mutual trust, respect, and integrity. We communicate in an open, honest, sensitive, and intelligent manner. We acknowledge the diversity, dignity, and worth of all individuals and respect their competencies and contributions. We seek continuous improvement, and foster an environment that encourages creativity and inspires people to make a difference. We are committed to making UTP a great place to work and grow!
Interested in applying?
Please visit our website to apply online https://utorontopress.com
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Press, only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
The University of Toronto Press encourages applications from all qualified candidates. If you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies, please contact Human Resources at 416.978-2239 ext. 2255.