Greystone Books is a leading trade book publisher of nonfiction books for adults and picture books and middle-grade nonfiction for young readers. We are seeking a talented senior designer to join our team, primarily focused on our adult list. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to multitask, and a very strong front cover design portfolio in nonfiction adult books.
This is a full-time position based in Vancouver, BC, reporting to the Publisher.
- Managing design schedules and assigning work to internal design staff, freelancers, and other creative contributors.
- Ensuring all design work is creatively compelling and completed on time and to Greystone standards, including:
- Design of adult book covers and interiors
- Design of catalogues (Kids, Adult, Rights, UK)
- Design of all sales and marketing materials, in line with Greystone’s established brand identity
- Design and management of reprints files
- Maintaining the design archive for the adult and children’s program
Skills and Qualifications
- Thorough knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Google Workspace
- Thorough knowledge of the book design process and technical knowledge of book production
- Strong knowledge of typefaces and typography
- An appreciation for the marketing function of design
- Strong creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- The ability to quickly pivot and rework concepts based on feedback
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Greystone Books is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. The compensation range for this position is $55,000–$65,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include extended health coverage, professional development opportunities, and complimentary books. Currently, the position is hybrid, with a minimum of 3 set days a week in our fun, collegial office environment in a historic building in Railtown.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume as well as design samples with the subject line “Senior Designer” to [email protected] by December 4, 2023.