Are you an experienced marketing professional, with specific expertise promoting children’s books in Canada? Are you interested in joining a dynamic sales and marketing team in a leadership role? An exciting opportunity is available at Scholastic Canada in the Trade Division for the position of Senior Manager, Marketing and Publicity. We are looking to fill it with a savvy, good-humored, creative leader, who will infuse campaign ideas with a genuine love of our mission: to turn all children into lifelong readers through access to great books!
Scholastic Canada is the country's leading publisher and distributor of children's books in both official languages. For over 60 years, Scholastic Canada has introduced young people to the joy of reading.
This position works out of our Toronto downtown office located at 604 King St. West. Our team is currently splitting time in the office and at home. Expectation is that the office is this person’s primary work location, with flexibility for some days at home.
The Senior Manager, Marketing & Publicity is responsible for working closely with our sales team and their key accounts to deliver effective, collaborative marketing campaigns that support our bestselling brands, including digital marketing, and in-store initiatives. This person will report to the Director, Marketing & Publicity and work closely with the entire Marketing & Publicity team on strategic consumer outreach, bringing new ideas to the table, and thinking outside the box about reaching new audiences and readers.
Key responsibilities will be:
- Leading and implementing marketing strategies for all key accounts, including Indigo, Amazon, Costco, Toys R Us, Mastermind and key independent bookstores across Canada
- Working closely with the Social Media Specialist to plan and implement social and digital strategy each season
- Collaborating and liaising with US counterparts, to effectively align goals on key Global Brands and media properties, including Dav Pilkey, Graphix, The Hunger Games, etc.
- Leading marketing initiatives that support key Canadian brands and titles, including Robert Munsch
- Amplifying our books and creators of diverse representation, and ensuring all of our marketing and social media campaigns support our values of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Effectively creating and presenting marketing decks at account meetings, and to internal stakeholders at conferences and other key cross-channel meetings.
- Connecting with authors and illustrators, communicating marketing & publicity strategies, as needed
- Monitoring budgets and cost centre management
- Representing Scholastic Canada at corporate and industry events
Key competencies and qualifications for this position:
- 7-8 years of progressive experience in the publishing industry
- A strong leader, with a love of reading and personal values that are aligned with Scholastic’s Credo.
- Analytical, yet creative thinker – a passion for sales numbers and brainstorming campaigns
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively with key stakeholders
- A creative eye, with experience directing design of promotional materials, with adherence to brand guidelines
- Detail-oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software (Advanced skill in Excel and Powerpoint) and Google Suite, and an ability to learn new platforms and organizational tools, as needed
- Experience with AS400 and Silvon is an asset
- Experience with BookNet Canada SalesData and Bookmanager platforms
- Written and verbal French skills are an asset
SOME OF THE BENEFITS WE OFFER:
- Competitive compensation package
- Attractive corporate RRSP program
- Health and Dental Benefits after probationary period
- Employee discounts on scholastic merchandise
- Paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
Thank you for considering Scholastic Canada
If you are interested in the above position, please forward a copy of your resume including salary expectation by June 29, 2022 to:
Human Resources Division
Scholastic is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants for their interest in the position, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
We embrace diversity in our people, products and ideas. We believe in: the worth and dignity of each individual, respect for the diverse groups in our multicultural society, the right of each individual to live in a wholesome environment, high moral and spiritual values, the democratic way of life with basic liberties and responsibilities for everyone, representative government and even-handed justice that maintains equality of rights for all people, cooperation and understanding among all people for the peace of the world, the basic freedoms of all individuals (we oppose discrimination of any kind on the basis of race, creed, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or national origin), and the fair discussion of all sides of the issues of our time (with deep respect for facts and logical thinking in our books, classroom magazines, and educational materials used in schools and homes).
Recruitment-related accommodations for disabilities are available to applicants who are selected for an interview. Please notify the interviewer in advance of any accommodations you require.