This year’s shortlisted titles were chosen from 74 submissions. The winner, who will be announced at a gala event postponed to this fall, will receive $50,000 with each of the finalists receiving $7,500.
The shortlisted books are:
- Empty Planet: The Shock of Global Population Decline, Darrell Bricker and John Ibbitson (Signal/McClelland & Stewart)
- Living with China: A Middle Power Finds Its Way, Wendy Dobson (University of Toronto Press)
- Wealth of First Nations, Thomas Flanagan (Fraser Institute)
- Breakdown: The Pipeline Debate and the Threat to Canada’s Future, Dennis McConaghy (Dundurn Press)
- The Tangled Garden: A Canadian Cultural Manifesto for the Digital Age, Richard Stursberg and Stephen Armstrong (Lorimer)
Correction: An earlier version of this post omitted to include The Tangled Garden on the shortlist. Q&Q regrets the error.