The Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador has announced its shortlists for the Newfoundland & Labrador Book Awards. This year, work was considered in the fiction and children’s/young adult categories, with eligible books published between Jan. 1, 2016, and Dec. 31, 2017. These categories are presented in alternating years with awards for poetry and non-fiction.
The shortlists are:
• The Greatest Hits of Wanda Jaynes, Bridget Canning (Breakwater Books)
• We’ll All Be Burnt in Our Beds Some Night, Joel Thomas Hynes (HarperCollins)
• Crying for the Moon: A Novel, Mary Walsh (HarperCollins)
• The Puffin Problem, Lori Doody (Running the Goat/Books and Broadsides)
• Full Speed Ahead: Errol’s Bell Island Adventure, Sheilah Lukins (Breakwater)
• Elliot and the Impossible Fish, Rebecca North (Breakwater)
In a statement, the jury for the fiction category – writers Matthew LeDrew, Elisabeth de Mariaffi, and Sara Tilley – said, “We feel these books best represent the diversity of voice and spirit that is modern Newfoundland: at times whimsical and playful, at times equally as harsh and unforgiving.”
The winner will be announced Sept. 5 at Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador. The winners will receive $1500 and the finalists will receive $500.