The Walrus Foundation and Amazon Canada have announced the six shortlisted books for the 42nd annual First Novel Award. The $40,000 grand prize will be presented at a gala in Toronto on May 22.
The 2018 shortlist:
- The Boat People, by Sharon Bala (McClelland & Stewart)
- The Bone Mother, by David Demchuk (ChiZine Publications)
- American War, by Omar El Akkad (M&S)
- The Water Beetles, by Michael Kaan (Goose Lane Editions)
- The Black Peacock, by Rachel Manley (Cormorant Books)
- Dazzle Patterns, by Alison Watt (Freehand Books)
The winner will be chosen by judges Irene Gammel, Ryerson University’s Canada Research Chair in Modern Literature and Culture; The Bleeds author Dimitri Nasrallah; and journalist and editor Donna Bailey Nurse.
The panel will also select the winner of the inaugural Youth Author Award, a $5,000 prize for the best short story under 3,000 words submitted by an author ages 13 to 17.