The cookbooks shortlisted for the 25th Taste Canada Awards / Les Lauréats des Saveurs du Canada were announced on June 15.
Appetite by Random House and Penguin Canada dominated the general and single-subject cookbook categories, while independent and university presses garnered the majority of culinary narrative and regional/cultural cookbook nominations, including Boulder Books, which in early June won the 2022 Gourmand World Cookbook Award for Food Heritage Books for its nominated Food, Culture, Place: Stories, Traditions and Recipes of Newfoundland.
The awards recognize the best cookbook authors in both official languages, with 45 shortlisted titles featuring authors from six provinces.
The winners will be announced at the Taste Canada Awards Gala in November. The full list of shortlisted titles can be viewed here.
Shortlisted titles in English-language categories follow:
- Bread & Water: Essays by dee Hobsbawn-Smith (University of Regina Press)
- Food to Grow On: The Ultimate Guide to Childhood Nutrition from Pregnancy to Packed Lunches by Sarah Remmer and Cara Rosenbloom (Appetite by Random House)
- Menno-Nightcaps: Cocktails Inspired by that Odd Ethno-Religious Group You Keep Mistaking for the Amish, Quakers or Mormons by Sherri Klassen (TouchWood Editions)
- Mrs Dalgairns’s Kitchen: Rediscovering “The Practice of Cookery” by Mary F. Williamson, ed. (McGill-Queen’s University Press)
- The Distilleries of Vancouver Island: A Guided Tour of West Coast Craft and Artisan Spirits by Marianne Scott (TouchWood Editions)
- Fast Easy Cheap Vegan by Sam Turnbull (Appetite by Random House)
- Hearth & Home: Cook, Share, and Celebrate Family-Style by Lynn Crawford and Lora Kirk (Penguin Canada)
- Maman: The Cookbook: All-Day Recipes to Warm Your Heart by Elisa Marshall and Benjamin Sormonte (Penguin Canada)
- My New Table: Everyday Inspiration for Eating + Living by Trish Magwood (Appetite by Random House)
- Well Seasoned: A Year’s Worth of Delicious Recipes by Mary Berg (Appetite by Random House)
- Cyprus Cuisine by Christina Loucas (Whitecap Books)
- Eat, Habibi, Eat! Fresh Recipes for Modern Egyptian Cooking by Shahir Massoud (Appetite by Random House)
- Food, Culture, Place: Stories, Traditions and Recipes of Newfoundland by Lori McCarthy and Marsha Tulk (Boulder Books)
- Macedonia The Cookbook: Recipes and Stories from the Balkans by Katarina Nitsou (Interlink Books/Thomas Allen & Son)
- The Double Happiness Cookbook: 88 Feel-Good Recipes and Food Stories by Trevor Lui (Figure 1)
- Acorn: Vegetables Re-imagined, Seasonal Recipes from Root to Stem by Shira Blustein and Brian Luptak (Appetite by Random House)
- Earth to Table Bakes: Everyday Recipes for Baking with Good Ingredients by Bettina Schormann and Erin Schiestel (Penguin Canada)
- Jam Bake: Inspired Recipes for Creating and Baking with Preserves by Camilla Wynne (Appetite by Random House)
- Sheet Pan Everything by Ricardo Larrivée (Appetite by Random House)
- The Zero-Waste Chef: Plant-Forward Recipes and Tips for a Sustainable Kitchen and Planet by Anne-Marie Bonneau (Penguin Canada)
Health or Special Diet Cookbooks
- Becoming Sugar-Free: How to Break Up with Inflammatory Sugars and Embrace a Naturally Sweet Life by Julie Daniluk (Penguin Canada)
- Live Well Collection: Recipes, Food Stories and Culinary Tips to Help You Thrive! by Shauna Versloot (Hamaka)
- The Food Doula Cookbook: A Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy and a Nourished New Mom by Lindsay Taylor (Plumleaf Press)