The shortlist has been announced for the Trillium Book Awards. The prizes recognize literature and poetry in English and in French, written by writers based in Ontario. This year will include the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in French language, presented in alternating years with the Trillium Book Award for Children’s Literature in French language.
The winners of the English-language Trillium Book Award and the French-language Prix Trillium will receive $20,000, with an additional $2,500 going to the book’s publisher to aid in promoting the title. The winners of the English-language and French-language Trillium Book Awards for Poetry will receive $10,000, with an additional $2,000 to promote the title.
Winners will be announced in an event to be held on Facebook on June 17.
Trillium Book Award (English)
- Sister Language, Christina Baillie and Martha Baillie (Pedlar Press)
- Shut Up You’re Pretty, Téa Mutonji (VS. Books/Arsenal Pulp Press)
- I Become a Delight to My Enemies, Sara Peters (Strange Light/PRHC)
- Frying Plantain, Zalika Reid-Benta (Astoria/House of Anansi Press)
- Clyde Fans: A Picture Novel, Seth (Drawn & Quarterly)
Prix Trillium (French)
- Moi, Sam. Elle, Janis, Jean Boisjoli (Éditions David)
- ca,Claude Guilmain (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Mon père, Boudarel et moi,Aristote Kavungu (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Crevaison en corbillard, Paul Ruban (Flammarion Québec)
Trillium Book Award for Poetry (English)
- Unmeaningable, Roxanna Bennett (Gordon Hill Press)
- heft, Doyali Islam (McClelland & Stewart)
- These are not the potatoes of my youth, Matthew Walsh (Goose Lane Editions)
Trillium Book Award for Poetry (French)
- Fragments de ciels, Daniel Groleau Landry (Les Éditions L’Interligne)
- Premier quart, Véronique Sylvain (Prise de parole)