The book industry’s biggest event for literary rights acquisitions, the Frankfurt Book Fair, takes place in Frankfurt, Germany, from Oct. 11 to 15. In total, 89 publishing companies and literary agents will represent English- and French-language Canada at the fair.
Q&Q asked attendees which titles they’re most excited to promote this year:
- Fire Song by Adam Garnet Jones
- Tournament Trouble by Slyv Chiang and Connie Cho, ill.
- Mighty Mission Machines: From Rockets to Rovers by Dr. Dave Williams and Loredana Cunti
- Sugar and Snails by Sarah Tsiang and Sonja Wimmer, ill.
- The Sound of Freedom by Kathy Kacer
Arsenal Pulp Press
- Scarborough by Catherine Hernandez
- Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan Coyote
- Everything is Awful and You’re a Terrible Person by Daniel Zomparelli
- Sodom Road Exit by Amber Dawn
- The Plague by Kevin Chong
- Little Fish by Casey Plett
Between the Lines
- Mediocracy: The Politics of the Extreme Centre by Alain Deneault and Catherine Browne, trans.
- The Righteous Left: The Problem with Call-Out Culture by Asam Ahmad
- Radical Transformation: Oligarchy, Collapse, and the Crisis of Civilization by Kevin MacKay
- Capitalism: A Crime Story by Harry Glasbeek
- Deep Diversity: Overcoming Us vs. Them by Shakil Choudhury
- The Fired Up YA series, including Fired Up about Capitalism by Tom Malleson and Fired Up about Reproductive Rights by Jane Kirby
In the Cage and Debris by Kevin Hardcastle top our list
1979 by Ray Robertson
Dear Evelyn by Kathy Page
The Party Wall and Madame Victoria by Catherine Leroux and Lazer Lederhendler, trans.
Peninsula Sinking by David Hubert
Zolitude by Paige Cooper
Transparent City by Ondjaki
The Beverley Slopen Literary Agency (on behalf of their respective authors or publishers)
The Home For Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman (HarperCollins)
One Brother Shy by Terry Fallis (McClelland & Stewart)
A Trial in Venice by Roberta Rich (Doubleday Canada)
The Healthy Brain by Aileen Burford-Mason (HarperCollins)
This I Know by Terry O’Reilly (Knopf Canada)
Dead Reckoning: The Untold Story of the Northwest Passage by Ken McGoogan (Patrick Crean Editions)
Cooke International (on behalf of their respective authors, agents, or publishers)
- Brother by David Chariandy (Martha Kanya-Forstner at McClelland & Stewart/Jackie Kaiser at Westwood Creative Artists)
- The Bone Mother by David Demchuk (ChiZine Publications)
- On the Up by Shilo Jones (Dean Cooke at the Cooke Agency)
- the sun and her flowers by Rupi Kaur (the Cooke Agency)
- The Ghost Keeper by Natalie Morrill (Rachel Letofsky at the Cooke Agency)
- Next Year, For Sure by Zoey Leigh Peterson (Martha Webb at the McDermid Agency)
- Sister of Mine by Laurie Petrou (Martha Webb at the McDermid Agency)
- The Spinning Magnet by Alanna Mitchell (the Cooke Agency)
- 12 Rules for Life,by Jordan Peterson (Sally Harding at the Cooke Agency)
- The Fiddler Is a Good Woman by Geoff Berner
- Deer Life by Ron Sexsmith
- The Showrunner by Kim Moritsugu
- Subverting Justice, a Jack Taggart Mystery book by Don Easten
- The Jenny Willson Mystery series, including Full Curl, by Dave Butler
- Amanda Doucette Mystery series, including The Trickster’s Lullaby, by araara Fradkin
- The Wild Place Adventure Series by Karen Hood-Caddy
- Weird Stories Gone Wrong by Philippa Dowding
- The 11th Hour by Kristine Scarrow
- The Raftsmen by Ryan Barnett and Dmitry Bondarenko, ill.
- Escape From Syria by Samya Kullab and Jackie Roche, ill.
- Rising Seas by Kelsie Thomas
- Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe (4th Edition) by Terence Dickinson
- Your Big Cosmic Questions Answered
- Rover: Wagmore Edition by Andrew Grant
Fitzhenry & Whiteside
- The Incredible Adventures of Mary Jane Mosquito by Tomson Highway and Sue Todd., ill.
- Smiley: A Journey of Love by Joanne George
- Lucky Me by Lora Rozler and Jan Dolby, ill.
- Spirit Trackers by J. Bourdeau Waboose and Francois Thisdale, ill.
- The Little Boy Who Lived Down the Drain by
- Christmas Wind by Carolyn Huizinga Mills and Brooke Kerrigan, ill.
- 5 Giraffes by Anne Innis Dagg
- Dark Matters: Nature’s Reaction to Light Pollution by Joan Marie Galat
- Antarctica by Arnold Zageris
- The Baker in Me by Daphna Rabinovitch
- The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally by Dr. Jason Fung
- Better Sex Through Mindfulness: How Women Can Harness the Power of the Present to Cultivate Desire by Lori A. Brotto
- The Dog, by Helen Mixter and Margarita Sada, ill.
- Tree, A Life Story – New Edition, by David Suzuki and Wayne Grady
- The Hidden Life of Trees: A Visual Celebration of a Magnificent World – Illustrated Edition, by Peter Wohlleben and Jane Billinghurst, trans.
- The Breadwinner: A Graphic Novel by Deborah Ellis, based on the film adaptation of the original kids’ novel directed by Nora Twomey
House of Anansi Press
- Things Are Good Now by Djamila Ibrahim
- Liminal by Jordan Tannahill
- Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls by Elizabeth Rinzetti
Kids Can Press
- Trash Revolution: Breaking the Waste Cycle by Erica Five and Bill Slavin, ill.
- Ebb & Flow by Heather T. Smith
- Nick the Sidekick by Dave Whamond
- Me and Me by Alice Kuipers
- The Last Wish of Sasha Cade by Cheyanne Young
McGill-Queen’s University Press
- Restructuring the European State by Paolo Dardanelli
- Why Dissent Matters by William Kaplan
- A Grand Adventure: The Lives of Helge and Anne Stine Ingstad and Their Discovery of a Viking Settlement in North America by Benedicte Ingstad
- Permanent State of Emergency: Unchecked Executive Power and the Demise of the Rule of Law by Ryan Alford
- Running on Empty: Canada and the Indochinese Refugees, 1975-1980 by Michael J. Molloy, Peter Duschinsky, Kurt F. Jansen, and Robert Shalka, eds.
New Society Publishers
- Invest Like You Give a Damn: Make Money, Change the World, Sleep Well at Night by Marc de Sousa-Shields
- The Clean Money Revolution: Reinventing Power, Purpose and Capitalism by Joel Solomon
- Intrinsic Hope: Living Courageously in Troubled Times by Kate Davies
- The Secret Life of Your Microbiome: Why Nature and Biodiversity are Essential to Your Health and Happiness by Susan L. Prescott and Alan C. Logan
- The Ever Curious Gardener: Using a Little Natural Science for a Much Better Garden by Lee Reich
Orca Book Publishers
- A Good Turn by Monique Polak
- Terra Nova by Shane Arbuthnott
- How Far We Go and How Fast by Nora Decter
- Dive In! by Ann Eriksson
- What Happens Next by Susan Hughes and Carey Sookocheff, ill.
- The Clara Humble trilogy, including the final unnamed installment, by Anna Humphrey and Lisa Cinar, ill.
- How to Spot a Sasquatch by
- When Planet Earth Was New by James Gladstone and Katherine Diemert
- The Man Who Loved Libraries: The Story of Andrew Carnegie by Andrew Larsen and Katty Maurey, ill.
- Jammie Day by Carrie Snyder and Brooke Kerrigan, ill.
The Rights Factory (on behalf of their respective authors or publishers)
- The Heavy Bear by Tim Bowling (Buckrider Books)
- A Thing You’ll Never Do by David Gilmour (Biblioasis)
- The Dictator by David Layton (HarperCollins)
- The Sweetest One by Melanie Mah (Cormorant Books)
- An Extraordinary Destiny by Shekhar Paleja (Brindle & Glass)
- Things Not to Do by Jessica Westhead (Cormorant Books)
- Everyone’s Welcome by Amanda Orlando (Touchwood Editions)
- Notes from a Feminist Killjoy: Essays on Everyday Life by Erin Wunker (BookThug)
- Chasing Captain America by E. Paul Zehr (ECW Press)
- The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline (Cormorant Books)
Robert Rose Publishing
The Edgy Veg by Candice Hutchings
Sous Vide Basics by Jay Nutt and Jennifer Mackenzie
The Complete Sous Vide Cookbook by Chris McDonald
The Paleo Diabetes Diet Solution by Jill Hillhouse
Aquafabulous by Rebecca Coleman
The Best Baby Food by Jordan Wagman and Jill Hillhouse
Vegan Everyday by Douglas McNish
- Sleepy Bird by Jeremy Tankard
- Hop Into Bed! by Nicholas Oldland
- Picture the Sky by Barbara Reid
- The Enormous Suitcase by Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko, ill.
- The Haunted series, including The House Next Door, by Joel A. Sutherland
- Don’t Tell the Enemy by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch
Second Story Press
- Ten Cents a Pound by Nhung N. Tran-Davies and Josée Bisaillon, ill.
- Mr. Mergler, Beethoven, and Me by David Gutnick and Mathilde Cinq-Mars, ill.
- The Promise by Pnina Bat Zvi and Margie Wolfe; Isabelle Cardinal, ill.
- Stolen Words by Melanie Florence and Gabrielle Grimard, ill.
- Where Will I Live? by Rosemary McCarney
- When We Were Shadows by Janet Wees
- To Look a Nazi in the Eye by Kathy Kacer with Jordana Lebowitz
- On the Spectrum by Jennifer Gold
- Caterpillars Can’t Swim by Liane Shaw
- Tale of a Boon’s Wife by Fartumo Kusow
- Gone to Pot by Jennifer Craig
The Transatlantic Agency (on behalf of their respective authors or publishers)
- Shoe on the Roof by Will Ferguson (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- Find You in the Dark by Naben Ruthnum (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- Hysteria by Elisabeth de Mariaffi (HarperCollins)
- Things to Do When It’s Raining by Marissa Stapley (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- Foe by Iain Reid (Simon & Schuster Canada)
- The Honey Farm by Harriet Alida Lye (Vagrant Press)
- The Boat People by Sharon Bala (McClelland & Stewart)
- The Lodge by Anna Maxymiw (McClelland and Stewart)
- Run, Hide, Repeat by Pauline Dakin (Penguin Books Canada)
- All We Leave Behind by Carol Off (Random House Canada)
- The Only Café by Linden MacIntyre (Random House Canada)
University of British Columbia Press
- Governing Irregular Migration: Bordering Culture, Labour, and Security in Spain by David Moffette
- The Birds of Vancouver Island’s West Coast by Adrian Dorst
- Settling: Invasion, Space Making, and the Transformation of North America by Adam J. Barker
- Grey Zones in International Economic Law and Global Governance: Crises and Resilience by Daniel Drache and Lesley A. Jacobs, eds.
University of Ottawa Press
- Voice and Versification in Translating Poems by James Underhill
- Translocated Modernisms: Paris and Other Lost Generations by Emily Ballantyne, Marta Dvorak, and Dean Irvine, eds.
- The Collected Poems of Miriam Waddington by Miriam Waddington and Ruth Panofsky, ed.
- Journey of a Thousand Miles: An Extraordinary Life by Ruey J. Yu with Kate Jaimet
- Mathematical Modelling of Zombies by Robert Smith, ed.