The Doug Wright Awards, which honour the best in Canadian comics, have announced this year’s shortlists. New this year is the Egghead, a prize dedicated to the best kids’ book.
A total of 151 titles were submitted by 36 publishers in four categories. Nearly three dozen self-published works were also submitted to the juried prizes.
Longtime Toronto Star cartoonist Walter Ball (1911–1995), best known for his strip Rural Route, will be inducted into the Giants of the North: The Canadian Cartoonist Hall of Fame at the awards’ online ceremony, scheduled for May 9 at 8 p.m. This year’s living Giants nominee will be announced and inducted in 2021.
The shortlists for each category are below.
The Doug Wright Award for best book
- This Place: 150 Years Retold, Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Sonny Assu, Brandon Mitchell, Rachel and Sean Qitsualik-Tinsley, David A. Robertson, Niigaanwewidam James Sinclair, Jen Storm, Richard Van Camp, Katherena Vermette, Chelsea Vowel, Tara Audibert, Kyle Charles, GMB Chomichuk, Natasha Donovan, Scott A. Ford, Scott B. Henderson, Ryan Howe, Andrew Lodwick, Jen Storm, Donovan Yaciuk, Alicia Elliott (HighWater Press)
- The Cursed Hermit, Kris Bertin; Alexander Forbes, ill. (Conundrum Press)
- Bezimena, Nina Bunjevac (Fantagraphics Books)
- Agnes, Murderess, Sarah Leavitt (Freehand Books)
- Death Threat, Vivek Shraya; Ness Lee, ill. (Arsenal Pulp Press)
- Bradley of Him, Connor Willumsen (Koyama Press)
The Nipper: The Doug Wright Award for emerging talent
- D. Boyd, Chicken Rising (Conundrum)
- Jason Bradshaw, Things Go Wrong (Paper Rocket)
- Sylvia Nickerson, Creation (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Ben O’Neil, Apologetica (Popnoir Editions)
- Cole Pauls, Dakwäkãda Warriors (Conundrum)
The Pigskin Peters: The Doug Wright Award for best small- or micro-press book
- Boumeries, Vol. 9, Boum (self-published)
- Gleem, Freddy Carrasco (Peow Studio)
- Baby in the Boneyard, Jesse Jacobs (Hollow Press)
- Curb Angels, Lisa Mendis, Christopher Ducharme, Lucas C. Pauls (At Bay Press)
- Dejects, Jay Stephens (Black Eye Books)
The Egghead: The Doug Wright Award for best kids’ book